A daily cleanse of our senses allows us to interact more rewardingly with our world and to make our awareness more clear and precise. There are many techniques to do this depending on which sense you want to cleanse. One of my favorite ways is simply decanting a Triphala tea. Though it seems long as I have broken it down to 16 steps below, it actually is a very simple technique:
- Before bed boil 16 ounces of water
- Clean a clear glass 16-20 ounce container that is tall and narrow
- Place a teaspoon of powdered Triphala (empty 6 capsules, or purchase a 1 lb. bag of bulk Triphala) in the glass
- Pour 2 ounces of ambient warm water on the Triphala and stir
- Pour the boiled water in next to top-off the container
- Stir the resultant Triphala infusion well again
- Place your intention/mindfulness into the infusion for a moment
- Place a cover on the container
- Place the container in a mindful place
- Allow the infusion to be still and undisturbed until morning
- Soon after waking carefully decant the top third into eye cups
- Wash your eyes with this, adding rose hydrosol if you want
- Carefully decant the middle third into a neti pot (click here to learn more about neti pots and how to use them)
- Wash your nasal passages, sinuses and back of throat
- Swish and even rub the bottom third into your teeth, gums and tongue
- Swallow, sending the Triphala to purify your gastro-intestinal tract and enhance digestion
So with just this easy technique you can clean three of your senses: Sight, smell and taste. You can add a little Tulsi (Holy Basil) and/or Gotu Kola to your Triphala, and use as much as one or two tablespoons if you are experienced. But know that more does not always mean better as herbalism is more about connecting to the intelligence of the herb and not necessarily the mass of the herb. As I mentioned, adding fresh Rose hydrosol is heavenly!
Also note that daily practice of neti with any liquid – even Triphala infusion, plain water, or a salt solution – can be counter-productive, so feel into this one and use neti as needed. Perhaps only twice a week is best for you.
What most people can do everyday is to put some drops of warm sesame oil in their nose as a mild way to cleanse and invigorate the sense of smell. Slightly warm two ounces of raw organic sesame oil, and use a dropper or your pinky finger to place a few drops into each nostril.
Warm sesame oil can be used to apply to your ears in a mini-massage, thereby supporting your hearing and, because the ears represent the entire body, a mild acupressure session. Then, if you have any oil left, swish in your teeth, massage into your gums, and gargle for a moment, and then either swallow or send it to your compost.
Besides teas and capsules, there are dozens of ways that you can use herbs to ensure your wellness. When you want to use “bulk” herbs you can either break open capsules if you do not need very much, or purchase your herbs by the pound. We have many of our more popular herbs available this way.