We know the holidays are the season for over-indulgence, but what if our favorite seasonal dishes were as healthy as they are delectable? Here are three nourishing recipes — family and guests won’t guess they’re “healthy.” Have a safe and gratifying holiday season!
Vegan Mushroom Herb Stuffing
Enhance the savory, rustic flavors of everyone’s favorite Thanksgiving side dish while taking full advantage of the healthy herbal potency of Tulsi (holy basil) and other organic herbs. Once removing the stuffing from the oven, simply sprinkle any ORGANIC INDIA Fermented Adaptogen blends over the top, give a quick stir, and serve. In contrast to their whopping health benefits, our herbal blends add delicate flavor that melds perfectly with your choice of dressing, from the classic to the bold.
Fermentation preserves the powerful phytonutrients of herbs, increasing their bio-availability to deliver nutritional benefits. Here, we’ve incorporated our ORGANIC INDIA Mindful Lift Fermented Adaptogen blend with the woody umami of mushrooms. Not only is this sumptuous side dish simple to prepare, the results are so rich, no one will suspect it’s both vegan and gluten-free! Enjoy!
- 1 large loaf hearty gluten-free or whole grain bread, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms of choice (button, crimini, baby bella)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup ORGANIC INDIA Mindful Lift Fermented Adaptogens
- Spread cubed bread on a baking sheet a day in advance and let dry overnight. (Alternatively, dry in a preheated oven at 300 F for 15-20 minutes.)
- In a large skillet, warm olive oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring regularly, 7-10 minutes. Add the onion, shallots, and celery and cook a further 3-5 minutes, until onions are becoming soft and translucent.
- Stir parsley, sage, thyme, and sea salt and pepper to taste into mushroom mixture.
- Place cubed bread in a baking dish coated oiled or with cooking spray. Mix in vegetable mixture and pour vegetable broth in top. Let rest until liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Spoon stuffing mixture into a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake for 40 minutes uncovered, or until top is browned and crisp.
- After removing stuffing from oven, sprinkle ORGANIC INDIA Fermented Adaptogen blend evenly over the top and lightly stir to incorporate.
Lemon Ginger Apple Cranberry Sauce
Boasting sweet tang and deep red allure, cranberry sauce completes the bountiful holiday table. No need to purchase the canned jelly, however; making your own is quick and easy. With ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Lemon Ginger tea infusion, it’s healthier, and tastier, too!
Like the classic condiment, pure cranberry flavor shines in this recipe, while chopped apple lends added sweetness and texture. Including the Tulsi Lemon Ginger herbal blend transforms sauce from simple to splendid. The tea infusion uplifts the senses and soothes digestion. Preparation is simple. Simmer all ingredients in the Tulsi Lemon Ginger Tea infusion, allow to cool, and cross off canned cranberry sauce from your grocery list for good.
- 1 10-ounce package fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup brewed ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Lemon Ginger tea
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh orange zest
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
- ⅓ cup maple syrup or honey
Toss all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a near boil then reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly. Remove from heat and cool. Transfer to fridge in a sealed container to cool prior to serving. Store for up to one week.
Gluten-free Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake
Pumpkin isn’t just for pie! Take your holiday dessert table to a new level of (deceptive) decadence this year. The warm spice of classic pumpkin pie meets the silkiness of cheesecake in this divine recipe. One creamy bite and you’d never guess it’s both vegan and gluten-free.
ORGANIC INDIA Psyllium powder acts as a binding agent in both filling and crust — no need for eggs or gluten. Containing both soluble and insoluble fiber, psyllium husk is noted for supporting a healthy gastrointestinal system and reducing risk of heart disease. Moreover, while conventional psyllium husk is grown on industrialized farms using a whole host of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and other chemical treatments, ORGANIC INDIA psyllium is 100% certified organic and GMO Project Verified, giving your body all the more reason to give thanks.
For the crust:
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- ¼ cup ORGANIC INDIA psyllium husk powder
- ¼ cup aquafaba (drained chickpea water). Alternatively, use 1 egg white if not vegan.
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
For the filling:
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 30 minutes or overnight
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Masala Chai spiced tea infusion bag
- 1 teaspoon ORGANIC INDIA psyllium husk powder
- ½ cup liquid coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Toasted pecans and coconut whipped cream for topping, optional
- Prepare the crust: In a food processor combine almond flour, tapioca flour, psyllium husk powder and coconut oil. Pulse to combine to a crumbly mixture.
- Pulse in aquafaba and maple syrup until the mixture begins to form a ball. Press into an 8-inch springform pan prepared with a bottom layer of parchment paper, or a pie tin.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 350. Set aside and let cool while preparing filling.
- Warm the coconut milk and tea infusion bag in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add pumpkin, Psyllium, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla, stirring to combine.
- Transfer pumpkin mixture to a blender with soaked cashews. Blend until smooth.
- Pour filling onto cooled crust and place in the freezer to set, for at least four hours. The cheesecake can also be put in the freezer overnight.
- Remove cheesecake from freezer 30 minutes before serving. Serve topped with whipped coconut cream and toasted pecans, if desired.